Writing Woes: A Tale of Rejection

Writers are like anyone else; they don’t like rejection. People seek to avoid rejection, which means they will also avoid opportunities and people that could have made a lasting impact on them. Whether we like it or not, life is a balance and, in that balance, there is pleasure as well as pain.

Image source: https://www.pexels.com/photo/focus-photo-of-yellow-paper-near-trash-can-850216/


This blog post describes my own experience of how I dealt with rejection as a writer. There is no quick and easy way to deal with it. Everyone deals with rejection differently. It could be slower or it could be faster than another person. Just remember to not compare yourself to others. I am sharing my story to hopefully provide you with some insight should you ever find yourself in a similar position. You are not alone. 

I’m also sharing to entertain you. After all, people love stories.

The Beginning

In the middle of the night, I sat among the shadows of my room with my lamp’s light focused on my desk. My laptop lay open before me.

It was expected of me to go to university. Luckily, I was a good student with good grades, and I felt I had always known which path to take in my life. I had applied to and been accepted by one high school; I had applied to three colleges (already knowing which one I was going to attend) and was accepted by all three. University should not have been any different.

But the bloody words on my laptop’s screen said otherwise. I sat, frozen by them while hot tears blurred my vision and shock split my self apart. 

I hadn’t been accepted into my Creative Writing program.

The Turmoil

In the next moment, I was sitting on the subway, unconcerned for and oblivious to how I had gotten there. This was my time to sleep and to create fanfiction that usually featured Wolfina as the heroine while I travelled to my destination. But, she and the stories had receded into the farthest corners of my mind. I couldn’t find them in the darkness because of the repeating questions: “Was my letter of intent too weak? Were my story samples not good enough? How could an authoritative entity reject me when people had always said my writing was so good?” I sat there fully realizing the state I was in: I was beside my self with the horror that I couldn’t write.

* * *

I sat in class, observing the other students as they listened to the gesticulating professor who was moving their mouth and pointing repeatedly to the projection screen. I looked out the window. I felt outside of Time. I didn’t have a future. I couldn’t write.

Image Source: https://unsplash.com/photos/6ctg8z_8MS8

Before art class began, I confided in my teacher because he was familiar with my writing and had been one of many to tell me how good it was. He took me aside during the break where we stood parallel to the flow of students in the hallway. With my arms around my self, I listened as he tried to comfort me with logical, external reasons for my rejection. I agreed that I may not have been accepted because the program was already full. He confessed to being a judge of applications in the past and had witnessed the bias other teachers had for students who submitted visual portfolios over written ones. Whatever else he suggested could have been true, but it was cold comfort. The damage had already been done.

The Recovery

I wrote to a dear friend, hoping he could put my self back together somehow. In his email, he wrote (among other things):

Follow your heart regardless of what others think and say. It is an arduous path because only the bravest choose these paths. But it is yours and it is where your heart belongs.”

From then on, I could hear the white noise of my surroundings again: the scraping of chairs, the babbling of students, the chirping of the birds. By this point, some time had passed since my initial rejection, and I was accepted into the same university, but for another program. It wasn’t what I wanted, but it was what I would use to better myself in writing. Now, at least, I could smell the books in the library and feel at home there again. However, my recovery was not yet complete; I needed some sort of glue to stop my self from splitting apart the next time.

It came to me months later when I was in my room and writing some essay for school while listening to music. Suddenly, my mind picked up on something vital that had been said in the song “Fate’s Wide Wheel” by Scott Bakula. Stopping everything, I replayed the song and heard the key phrases:

But Time divides what we might share / And sends us a way no one goes [...] The me I am, is all that’s real to me.”

A faded memory sprang to my mind, and I rummaged through my old high school papers. I found the worn photocopy of “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost that I had kept for years without consciously knowing why I had to keep it. But now, I knew why:

Two roads diverged ‘ in a yellow wood / [...] I took the one less travelled by, / And that has made all the difference.”

It all came together now with my friend’s words, the song and the poem. I had rebuilt myself—a better, stronger version of myself. I could write. I could create stories. I could make people feel emotions through my writing. It was now my core belief, cemented into my being. I am a writer and no one can take that away from me ever again.

Image source: https://unsplash.com/photos/n24q69FgEko

The Takeaway

When we’re rejected, most of us assume that we are, in some way, the reason for the rejection: our writing wasn’t good enough or we just don’t have the skills or the brains to be a writer. We put so much value on what others think, whether it’s a friend or an establishment. Just because someone has made a name for themselves, it doesn’t’ mean everything they think or say is gold. Just because a known establishment rejects you, it doesn't make them right. We have to find it within ourselves to do what we love and defy what “haters” say. But bear in mind to keep an open mind when it comes to constructive criticism that is truly meant to help you grow and hone your craft.

After my epiphany, I had the courage to submit my poems and short stories to various contests. Occasionally, I still do. I haven’t been published by any of them, but it doesn’t have any effect on me anymore. I just move on to the next one and keep writing in the meantime


Services

Need an editor, beta reader or book reviewer for your novel or short story? Check out my website to learn more about my services or email me about your project at smurphy.writer1@gmail.com!

Comments

Allyson Bede said…
What a lovely reminder and encouragement for those who struggle in any field. I agree that the feeling of rejection can be utterly devastating and it can discourage people from following their passions. It is sometimes easy to forget one's value does not begin and end with other people's opinions. As a teacher, I have many students who have struggled so much or received so much bad feedback, that they are no longer willing to try. They are so afraid of failing...so afraid of getting something wrong. In my classroom, I have made the creation of mistakes a celebration for it only leads to more learning and improvement. But it is difficult for them to unlearn what they have already learned, for them to find value in themselves after so many words of negativity--so many rejections. It is a challenge for me when they come in with the steadfast belief that they are bad writers or worse that they "can't write" (I mean, honestly, one one puts the pen to the paper and writes, he is a writer, in my opinion). I know that I am not above reproach when it comes to this. When I was seven years old, a dance instructor refused to let me dance in a recital and told me "Smart girls don't have grace. Find something that uses your head instead of your body." And you know what, I never really danced again. I never took another class. I let that rejection shape my view of myself. It took two decades before I tried anything like that again, so this is something that even I (not just my students) need to remind myself. How one continues on in the wake of rejection shows the inner fortitude and grit of the person, and I find that to be truly admirable. Thank you for sharing your experience. I think it will be encouraging to many others.
The Red Wolf said…
Thank you for leaving a comment, Ally, and for also sharing your experience! What a horrible dance teacher to say that to a kid! We need more teachers like you in the world!

Popular posts from this blog

Still Scratching My Head After Reading The Clockmaker's Daughter

The Enchanting Tale of the House of Salt and Sorrows

Take a Road Trip through Ireland with Love & Luck by Jenna Evans Welch