The Woman of the World: Some More of My Poetry


Figure 2. Dalí, Salvador (1904-1989) © ARS, NY. The Persistence of Memory. 1931. Oil on canvas, 9½ 13 (24.1 33 cm). Given anonymously. © Salvador Dalí, Gala-Salvador Dalí Foundation/Artists Rights
Image Source: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/The-persistence-of-memory-(1931)-by-Salvador-Dal%C3%AD-Salcman/623fb03024cf1aa3c40dbe5189b767c28ca63d08/figure/1


It's been a long time since I've included my poetry here. I have been focusing my efforts instead on my novel series and to my blog. But there was an instance recently that had me composing poetry again, and I found that I had missed it. I missed the puzzle of working out how to lay it all out: How many lines? How stanzas? Which one is the perfect word? It felt like familiar territory, like visiting an old friend.

Well, without further ado:


The Woman of the World


My shadow stretches beyond me

As I walk through the sands;

I can see the sun blaze

Through tears and sweat,

Feel the stinging,

The blistering,

The burning.

 

The nightmares haunt.

Every day is Halloween;

My Hound within hungers for blood,

For flesh that has done wrong.

We know where Evil lurks unseen.

 

To be or not to be

Is not the question for me.

My destiny was decided:

Two spirits entwined

In a corporeal cage

To serve and save humanity.

 

I knew the people,

Heard their voices,

Danced to their beat,

And became their Muse

To laugh and love

In their presence.

 

But darkness takes them away

When their clocks stop;

I sew patches onto my heart,

But blood leaks through.

Can anyone hold me?

Will anyone love me?

 

Hear the winds whisper

My names in History:

Red Wolf... Bad Wolf... Wolfina;

I wander the eternal plains of Life,

Forever with unfinished business...

 

*I was inspired by Percy Bysshe Shelley's "Ozymandias."


For some more of my poetry, check out "The Death Ache" and "Raw Madness."


If you have read my short stories, more specifically, my fanfiction, you may be familiar with my character Wolfina Jones. You can find her in a Labyrinth and Doctor Who fanfiction. Note: The Doctor Who fanfiction says "Part 1," but I'm not sure if I'll ever revisit it. Maybe one day...


Services

Need an editor, beta reader or book reviewer for your novel or short story? Check out my website to learn more about my services or email me about your project at smurphy.writer1@gmail.com!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Scratching My Head After Reading The Clockmaker's Daughter

The Enchanting Tale of the House of Salt and Sorrows

Take a Road Trip through Ireland with Love & Luck by Jenna Evans Welch