The Phantom Presence: A Poem

 

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels


This has been a very strange month for me on an emotional level. I wrote this poem as a way to expel my feelings and, hopefully, be able to enjoy fall and October, my favorite season and month.

I've been working on a novella written in the second perspective for many months, so it bled into this poem.

I will provide the music and videos that inspired me below the poem. Enjoy.


The Phantom Presence


The gravelly voice floats in the air,
Warm and crunchy like crème brûlée. 
Whispers of soothing affirmations replay
In the depths of your heart so fair. 
But silence steals it all away
At the dawning of each day.

Where once divine fingers danced across ivories, 
Chopin's Nocturne haunting you with delight,
Like the tantalizing Starry Night.
"Darling," he'd say, taking away your miseries.

But through shreds of narrow daylight floats
Your mind, lost in fog and dust motes. 
The water glass beside the bed shimmers bare.
He would frown at your lack of self-care.
The thought chokes you so a tear drips,
Running from your pain to coat your lips.

There is no light without darkness, you remember,
As you howl at the sun in agony.
His art and kindness forever his legacy
Will get you through the melancholy of September. 

© Samantha Murphy (aka TheRedWolf/TheOnlyRedWolf/Wolfie)


Music that inspired my poem:







 Videos that inspired my poem:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Scratching My Head After Reading The Clockmaker's Daughter

The Enchanting Tale of the House of Salt and Sorrows

Take a Road Trip through Ireland with Love & Luck by Jenna Evans Welch