Find a New Read: (Book) Blogger Confessions Tag

Source: https://unsplash.com/photos/zjV8ptYgcEo


So, I've been following a bunch of Booktubers for a while now, and I have seen them do tags in their videos, so I thought I'd give it a try. I saw a tag on _Lindsayreads called Book Blogger Confessions and thought I'd give it a go. 


QUESTION 1: Which Book, Most Recently, Did You Not Finish?

I have a Did Not Finish (DNF) pile, but I am determined to finish them, I swear! I am such a mood reader. I've started:

  • Erebus by Michael Palin ( I have read The Terror by Dan Simmons, which was awesome and at times a bit gruesome)
  • Everything All at Once by Bill Nye (the Science Guy)
  • The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H.P. Lovecraft
  • D'Art et de Sang by Benjamin Faucon


QUESTION 2: Which Book Is Your Guilty Pleasure?

It's not in my nature to reread books that I love and keep, although, I keep the ones I love just in case I do want to reread them. Did that make sense?

The only candidate, aside from my Nancy Drew collection, is A Murder for Her Majesty by Beth Hilgartner. I reread this book because the character Kenton is much like Severus Snape. I also love the mystery and that a bunch of kind-hearted and mischievous boys protect the protagonist in their choir after the protagonist's father is mysteriously killed.




QUESTION 3: Which Book Do You Love to Hate?

I have that kind of relationship with movies and characters, but not so much with books. I either like the book and keep it, hate the book and donate it, or feel undecided and hang onto it until I do decide how I feel.


QUESTION 4: Which Book Would You Throw into the Sea?

Time Present and Time Past by Deirdre Madden was a letdown for me because the summary on the back made the story sound much more interesting than it was. The story was incredibly slow. Nothing much happened. Characters were mostly reflecting on their memories. I didn't find that much had changed by the end of the book.


QUESTION 5: Which Book Have You Read the Most?

As I said above, I don't usually reread books, but I have reread Nancy Drew #4: Mystery at the Lilac Inn. I love the idea of someone impersonating Nancy (Don't worry, that's not a spoiler because the two Nancys are on the cover). It's a theme I am attracted to. 




QUESTION 6: Which Book Would You Hate to Receive as a Present?

I hate receiving the second, third (or higher) book in a series if I do not already have the first book. I don't understand the logic there. If you don't know if someone has started a series, why give them Book 2 or higher? Personally, I can't read them until I get Book 1.

But I love receiving books as presents in general. Just please, make it Book 1 if it's a series!


QUESTION 7: Which Book Could You Not Live Without?

I cannot live without my Nancy Drew collection. When I was given the first book, it changed my life. It had fun mysteries in different locations, great characters and action. It helped me learn more about how to be a detective. I love Nancy's determination to help people and get justice for them, whether it's to reclaim stolen heirlooms or to get to the bottom of hauntings.


QUESTION 8: Which Book Made You the Angriest?

The book A List of Cages by Robin Roe is a favorite of mine because it was well written with good characters. It deals with child abuse, so it was hard to read the sections that covered what was happening in the victim's house. I felt immense anger and frustration for the victim. 




I highly recommend it, though, if you can take it. Part of the abuse is psychological and as I mentioned in my last post, I am drawn to stories with that element. I will say that the book ends well, so you won't feel like you wasted your time or anything like that. That's another pet peeve of mine: I hate books that don't end well. Same thing with movies. Sometimes, it's acceptable to have the protagonist or someone close to them die at the end, but it's not always for a good enough reason. I then, feel gyped and want my time back.


QUESTION 9: Which Book(s) Made You Cry the Most?

I have read two books by Kate Morton, and they are poetically written with romance, mystery and intrigue. I love her work despite the heartbreaking sections. I recommend:

  • The Secret Keeper
  • The Distant Hours



I have two other books by her, which I plan on reading at some point: The House at Riverton and The Clockmaker's Daughter.


QUESTION 10: Which Book Cover Do You Hate the Most?

I am a booklover that appreciates beautiful covers, but I wouldn't say that I won't read a book based on the cover. However, I get attached to the edition I read and hate it when new covers come out. For example, I received all of my Harry Potter books as gifts and sadly, I was given one that didn't match the edition of the other six and that has always bothered me. 







Now You!

Have you read any of the books I mentioned? Is there a book you love to hate or one that broke your heart? Leave a comment below. I'd love to hear your thoughts!


Services

Need an editor, beta reader or book reviewer for your novel or short story? Check out my website to learn more about my services or email me about your project at smurphy.writer1@gmail.com!

Comments

Unknown said…
When I find the time, I'd like to mull over and answer all the questions.

One book that is a sentimental favorite of mine is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I read it for the first time when I was about 6 years old. I'm sure there were many words I had to skip over, but I was, even then, a fairly advanced reader. I read it every year after that. Now, over 30 years later, I have it memorized. Truly memorized. Word for word. But I still take my beloved copy off the shelves every year the day after Thanksgiving and read it anyway.
It's not that I think it is the best book ever written (I give Frankenstein that honor), but I have such an attachment to it. I think perhaps there's something to analyze here...what does it say about me as a person, that it is my favorite? I wonder.

My favorite author, however, is Agatha Christie. You can hand me any book from her library and I will enjoy it. I have not come across one I have not loved. I am trying to space out her books. I want to finish them all in my lifetime, but I don't want to finish them all right away. I want to enjoy them throughout the remainder of whatever time I have left. Maybe it's like that one episode of the Twilight Zone where the man's life was tied to a grandfather clock. If the clock was ever stopped or not wound, his life would end. Maybe once I read the final Christie book, that will be my last chapter, too. It's sort of a romantic thought, really...

Popular posts from this blog

Still Scratching My Head After Reading The Clockmaker's Daughter

The Enchanting Tale of the House of Salt and Sorrows

Take a Road Trip through Ireland with Love & Luck by Jenna Evans Welch