Calling All Writers with Anxiety: ASMR Videos Can Help You!

Source: https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-man-touching-his-head-3752834/


Some of you may recall that I wrote about the COVID-19 quarantine, lockdown, pandemic, crisis, however you call it, and reflected on it from a writerly perspective. It is now two months later, and I, an introvert, have been feeling incredibly anxious.

No, it has nothing to do with writing or the quarantine. It's other things in the real world. Yes, you remember. The world that's all around you while you're deep within your beloved books? I don't exactly excel at adulting (still not sure I like that word) and Life has been getting me down. Life and my own damn fears. While I'm an introvert and I like staying inside, even on sunny days, I'm not entirely okay with being physically alone almost 24/7.

Anyways...

What Can Help Anxiety? ASMR!

I've been exploring the ASMR community on YouTube since the quarantine was announced in March. I discovered ASMR Weekly and that led to his circle of ASMRtists and others. With my anxiety level rising, I started checking out these brilliant ASMRtists:

January 26, 2021 Update: I was an avid supporter and patron of JimちASMR and after weighing the information and evidence, I have stopped supporting him.

They all have their own style of roleplays and sound effects. Youtube's ASMR community is vast, so go take a look.





Does This Have Anything to Do with Writing?

Yes, it does.

Writers are anxious and self-conscious about their work, especially if they're writing their debut novel and trying to navigate the business side of publishing and marketing. Writers have a hard time writing sometimes because they compare themselves to other writers. I am also guilty of this. I mean, seeing people younger than myself who have their first novel (or more!) already published makes me feel like I'll never finish my novel or finish setting up the foundation of the series itself. It makes me jealous. There! I said it!

We writers must remember to resist comparing ourselves to other writers. A dear friend of mine and freelance writing coach, Katrina, posted on writing anxiety recently. In her Instagram post, she reminds us that "[e]very genre has THOUSANDS of great authors. Not only that, but each of their successes DOES NOT diminish anyone else's." Remember what makes YOU special and what your strengths are. You are unique and the world of publishing has room for more than one person.

I recommend writers check out Katrina's website or contact her for writerly advice and editing services.

Writers value words, so I hope some of you gained some insight or find comfort in the ASMRtists I listed above. If you want to support any of them, they will have their links to Patreon, a Paypal tip jar and more on their Youtube channel profile.

Stay safe. Stay sane (or insane, whatever helps you to cope).

Services

Need an editor, beta reader or book reviewer for your novel or short story? Check out my website to learn more about my services or email me about your project at smurphy.writer1@gmail.com!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Scratching My Head After Reading The Clockmaker's Daughter

The Enchanting Tale of the House of Salt and Sorrows

Take a Road Trip through Ireland with Love & Luck by Jenna Evans Welch