About Me

My photo
I am a writer and dreamer, currently working on blogs and a book series.

Sunday, 24 January 2016

Proofreading and Steno!

Examples of Proofreading marks

I've recently been introduced to proofreading marks editors use to (professionally) correct mistakes.  Instead of just crossing every mistake out and writing whole words in the margins to explain what the error is, a symbol is used to save time and space.  

I only knew about the "indent paragraph" mark:

  

and that what was it, but there are many, many more.  As I said, I've just started learning about them so I finding using them a bit muddling.  And long. It's very long using the symbols now instead of simply writing in what the mistake is.  I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon.

 Some of them remind me of stenography which I came across for the first time in the 7th Nancy Drew computer game: The Haunted Carousel.  In the game, you learn about stenography and how to write with the symbols using this computer program and then that helps you figure out what the crucial word on a document is (see image below).  From what I recall, that program had 10 lessons with exercises on how to write using steno.  It was summer when I played the game and doing homework was the last thing I wanted to do!  But it isn't solely in the environment of the classroom that you learn things and that is one of the major reasons why I love Herinteractive's Nancy Drew games; they make learning fun.


  

No comments: