About Me

My photo
I am a writer and dreamer, currently working on blogs and a book series.

Monday, 9 November 2015

Career Development

I recently picked up an issue of American Womankind magazine.  It has beautiful glossy images and engaging articles.  I will be writing posts that discuss articles from this magazine in the next couple of weeks.  I'll also be posting some book reviews, too, for variety.

The article I am writing about is titled "Career Lines" and talks about how people follow strict paths in order to enter into their profession of choice, believing this to be the only way to gain success.  But the article says that people do not have to solely follow "career paths" to get where they want to go; they can follow " 'desire lines', ... [which] are natural pathways that humans walk" such as those dirt trails that continually curve or lead up and down hills.  Consider Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken

The article also states that the straight career path is not necessarily the best to follow.  I read Sophie Kinsella's Undomestic Goddess that showed a hard-working lawyer, who didn't have much of a personal life, end up by chance or Fate in the countryside as a housekeeper and she preferred her new life.  So, sometimes Fate pulls you away from the "career path" whether you like it or not.

No comments: