About Me

My photo
I am a writer and dreamer, currently working on blogs and a book series.

Saturday, 20 September 2014

Quantum Leap

When we're sad, depressed, feeling despair for one's situation, any type of emotional pain, there are television shows that help us keep afloat because they reflect what we feel and/or what we're going through.  Often, I have felt sad that I am alone or angry that I keep everything inside or even feel that I'm not progressing with what I REALLY want to do.  I feel confined in what society's standards are and when I rebel, I am attacked emotionally.  In the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode called "Once More with Feeling", one of the characters says, "The hardest thing in this world is to live in it."  The show that embodies this quote is Quantum Leap where the protagonist Dr. Sam Beckett (played by Scott Bakula) leaps into different peoples' lives across time and he only leaps out of their bodies once he has fixed problems in history.  There is nothing to protect him from everyday dangers.  He literally experiences life through hundreds of different eyes.  It's a show that touches one's heart and opens your mind even more.  There is also the mystical element to the leaping process.  Though Sam is a scientist and leaping is a part of the scientific project "Quantum Leap", there are things that occur that Sam cannot explain with science and thus, Fate is a character in the story.  One particular instance, in a Scrooge adaptation episode, Al, (Sam's holographic friend from the future played by Dean Stockwell), helps Sam convince a man to care for a woman, but their efforts fall short.  At the last minute, a star appears in the sky and acts like a spotlight which convinces the man to follow his heart.  When Al appears, Sam says the star was a good touch.  Al says he was not responsible for it and they begin to wonder what force is helping them.
When Sam is the body of a Glitter rock singer, he sings a song called "Fate's Wide Wheel" that reflects his life as a Leaper.  It is a beautiful piece that embodies the essence of Quantum Leap and this world.  There is sadness and wonder mixed in the song.  Have a listen and I've also provided the lyrics:



Lyrics from http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754

As I travel in space and time,
I want to stay,
I want to go,
You see my face, but it?s not mine,
But you can't see, you'll never know.

How can we meet if I'm not there?
Our hearts may touch,
Our bodies close,
But time divides what we might share,
And sends us all where no one goes.

CHORUS I'm just a traveler, upon the sea,
Of time, of life, of fate's wide wheel,
Just a traveler, In this mystery,
The me I am is all that's real to me.

We all begin our life alone,
We live, we love all through the years,
Yet deep inside, we long for home,
But it recedes, obscured by tears.

I cried a time, It falls past me,
The door of fate, remains asleep,
But in my soul, this hope burns free,
Oh please let there be one finally.

CHORUS (Plus final line repeats)



No comments: