About Me

My photo
I am a writer and dreamer, currently working on blogs and a book series.

Saturday, 26 July 2014

Replacing One Problem with Another

Hello, people.  In my last post, I wrote about how I've recently discovered a channel on Youtube by a girl named Rebecca Brown who suffers from Trichotillomania, the compulsion to pull out one's hair.  I was viewing one of her videos today and read some of the user comments underneath.  I stopped at one of them and couldn't believe what I was reading:


At first glance, I thought "How stupid is this person!?  I never got to meet my grandmother because she died from lung cancer!"  Then, I calmed down and could see that this person must have suffered so much from Trich that they would rather smoke if it stopped the compulsion.  I understand that they sought relief, but all they have done is exchanged problems, and it was an exchange for an even bigger problem that involves her health and lifespan.  This person even went so far as to suggest that Beckie try it, but the person used an ellipsis, (the four dots), showing that there was a hesitation of thought.  This person sounds young because they used the word "super".  It seems like such a light way of talking about a serious subject like smoking.  Should this person say I don't know what it's like to have Trich, then I would agree with them because I don't, but I have other problems like asthma and other things.  But if I found relief from my problems and knew that that solution was hazardous, I would want to stay exactly as I am.  I don't dance with the Devil.
Many years from now or maybe even now, this person is regretting their decision.  In this life, we have to face our problems and deal with them no matter what instead of covering them up.  Beckie has said in many of her videos that she wants to spread awareness of Trich since there isn't much known about it.  She is neither afraid of Trichotillomania nor is she dominated by it.  We should do the same for anything.  Stay strong, Beckie!  Stay strong, everyone! 

No comments: