About Me

My photo
I am a writer and dreamer, currently working on blogs and a book series.

Tuesday, 1 April 2014

As the World Falls Down (A Wolfina Escapade) Part Two: To Step Out of Mind

Part two!
For more of my work, click here!


As the World Falls Down (A Wolfina Escapade) Part Two:  To Step Out of Mind


          
            I ran up the stone steps two at a time, yearning to get out of this horrible place.  Anticipation flowed through me; I was almost there!  Almost at the top.  I had spent days, maybe weeks in this dark world and I wanted out.  Round and round up the tower, I was getting dizzy.  I stopped for a moment to catch my breath and began to think, "Wait, how did I get here?"  I couldn't remember how I had reached the Goblin King's castle.  And for that matter, how had I gotten out of that confusing Labyrinth?  I closed my eyes and like teeth, pulled at my memories for the answers ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

            But they wouldn't come.  I opened my eyes and decided that it didn't matter.  I was close to escaping this world anyway.

            I finally reached the top and pushed the door open wide, unable to stop running until I hit the rim of the tower.   This was the place that would lead me to the normal world.  My hands gripped the edge as I panted heavily.  My eyes searched the landscape, then I turned around.  There was only the door that led down the tower; there was nothing else within the small circumference. 

            "I made a mistake!  I took a wrong turn!"

            I took a step toward the door, but stopped at the sight of the Goblin King ascending the last steps.  Now, he blocked my path.

            "You're so strong, Wolfina," He had that smug grin, "Not to mention determined."

            "What did you do?" I said, angrily.

            "What do you mean?" he asked, knowing full well.

            "You did something!  I remember everyone telling me that the only way to get back to my world would be to reach the tallest tower of the Goblin King's castle.  Here I am yet, I can neither see a way back, nor can I remember how I got to the castle," I exhaled angrily through my nostrils, "So, I ask you again: What did you do?"

            The Goblin King purred contently, "I may have threatened them into telling you that lie and I may have erased your memory of the Labyrinth just in case you got away from me again.  I couldn't have you knowing the path of the Labyrinth, now could I?"

            He took a step toward me and I instinctively moved into combat position with my hands up, adamantium claws out.  The metallic sound of my claws sliding out of my hands startled Jareth as if he hadn't been aware of their existence.  His confident disposition had disappeared and he eyed my claws, uncertain. 

            "Wolfina," he whispered, "Why are you afraid of me?"

            "Like you don't know!  You have a black heart and I want no part of it!  Any of this!"

            My words struck him, "Is that all you see?"

            "Oh, sorry.  Your cold, black heart."

            He rushed at me and griped both hands with his bare ones, holding my claws against his chest, "Then tear it out, Wolfina!  Tear out my 'cold, black heart'!"

            Jareth stared into my eyes, daring me.  I didn't know what to say or how to react, "I...I..."

            "You call this place 'horrible', 'awful', 'dark', and 'evil', and it is.  It is, Wolfina, and so am I," He paused, "But not if you're here."

            I stopped breathing for a second.  I began wondering if this was real, if any of it was real.  I slowly retracted my claws, unsure whether or not I should believe him.

            "You're the light in this world, Wolfina.  Stay with me," I felt Jareth encompass me with his arms, pull me closer, "If I send you back, you will be alone in that hideous world, fending for yourself.  But here...you'll have me."

            I looked into his mismatched eyes and still saw the evil within him.  I felt his soft lips descending upon mine and as we kissed, I understood why he had said we were so alike: he was predominantly evil as I was predominantly good.  I had the Beast inside me and he had light inside him. 

            The passion between us began to grow.  Jareth lovingly kissed my neck and I felt his hands slide down my waist.  I wrapped my arms around him, never wanting the embrace to break.  I had endured centuries of torture and fear and now, I was finally happy.  I felt loved as I gazed up at the orange sky, feeling Jareth move toward my shoulder.  But then, slowly, the sky was beginning to fade.

            "Jareth? Something's wrong!"

            As it grew darker and darker, I felt Jareth letting me go and I was falling.

            "Don't forget me, Wolfina.



*  *  *



            My eyes opened.  It was dark. I was lying on a table and felt my body was naked.  Then I felt that I was cold.  My eyes adjusted and I felt around with my hands.  I knew this place. I was in a mortuary.  For.  The.  Four.  Millionth.  Time.

            Using my mind, I teleported to a skyscraper and at the same time, made some clothes materialize on my body.  It was the dead of night.  I stood on the edge of the skyscraper roof and suddenly, it hit me that all I had been through in that orange-skyed world had been nothing but my imagination as I lay dead and healing.  I felt betrayed.  I had betrayed myself. 

            I let loose a scream of tortured insanity and allowed the Beast to ravage any black-hearted person it came across as we ran through this cruel reality together, saving the innocent.

No comments: