About Me

My photo
I am a writer and dreamer, currently working on blogs and a book series.

Saturday, 16 June 2012

Midnight in Paris Review

Hello!  I am now starting a 'Cinema' page where I will have a list of movies and possibly television shows that I will review.  The first one is Midnight in Paris starring Owen Wilson and written and directed by Woody Allen.  I find it was the perfect summer film.  The story follows struggling novelist Gil Pender (Wilson) through the streets of Paris where at midnight, a 20s styled car picks him up and he's transported to the Roaring 20s, his favorite time period.  He meets the greats of that time: Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Picasso and Gertrude Stein who help him with his first novel.  When he first time-traveled, Pender was drunk so the audience isn't certain if his experience is real or not.  It is only found out at the end.  Pender is in Paris with his soon-to-be wife, Inez, (Rachel McAdams), on holiday.  Their relationship, however, is far from what it should be.  During one of his trips to the 20s, Pender meets a sweet girl named Adriana and starts to fall in love with her.  He discovers, though, that she doesn't find her present (the Roaring 20s), to be all that exciting as he believes.    
The point of the movie is to show that there are people, like Pender, Adriana (and myself), who believe they should have been born in another time period and believe their present is dull.  You just have to make the best of what you have.
I've never had one particular movie I could call 'my favorite', but now that's changed.    

No comments: